Monday 2 March 2009

DEVIATION

This was a couple of weeks back and I am the first person to rant on about how amazing KODE9 is, he really is genius, but I was a little disappointed with what I saw (or heard) a couple of Wednesday's ago. Anyone who has ever been to Deviation would be familiar with their distinct soul/hip-hop vibes. I have even heard some decent Detroit Techno there. But, this is where the problem begins.

It is my opinion that if you book an artist, you book them for what they are famed for, or at least book them to mix it up a bit. I was expecting something a little different from KODE9, as I said in my original post, just not the same as what Benji plays on an average night at Deviation. I am not sure if KODE9 felt the pressure of playing at such an established night and felt he had to play for the crowd (I very much doubt it), or if the Deviation boys felt that they were pulling out the stops by getting him to play something that NOBODY expected him to play... either way I was not impressed.

Lets just say it was beyond being obvious. Call me me cynical but, Deviation missed a trick and could have really given their usual crowd something to think about, a little lesson in what KODE9 is really about.

Shame really. Roll on Harmonic 313.










No comments: